It’s that time of the year again, time to pause before a new year begins and spend some time reflecting and planning. Below is the list of questions I work through each year. I find them to be quite helpful, and hope you do too.
Happy New Year!
A Year in Review
- What was the best thing that happened in the last year?
- What is the most challenging thing that happened?
- What was an unexpected joy?
- What was an unexpected obstacle?
- Pick 3 words to describe the last year.
- What were the best books you read?
- With whom were your most valuable relationships?
- What was your biggest personal challenge?
- In what ways did you grow emotionally?
- In what ways did you grow spiritually?
- In what ways did you grow physically?
- In what way did you grow in your relationships with others?
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work professionally?
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work at home?
- What was the most challenging part of your work professionally?
- What was the most challenging part of your work at home?
- What was your single biggest time waster this past year?
- What was the best way you used your time this past year?
- What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
- Create a phrase or statement that describes this past year.
- What healthy character traits would you like to see developed in your life this year?
- What is your plan for maintaining accountability for progressing in personal growth?
- What are some of your learning goals this year?
- What books would you like to read this year?
- What is one area of growth at your job that you would like to develop this year?
- What is one area of progress you’d like to see this year for improving your physical health?
- What are some tangible daily choices you can add to your life that will improve your health?
- What are some goals you have to strengthen your marriage?
- In what ways can you grow in intimacy with your spouse this year?
- What will deliberate, regular family time look like this year?
- Do you have specific planned vacation time in mind for this year?
- What are some ways you’d like to see each of your children grow this year physically, emotionally, spiritually, and educationally?
- What is one specific area of progress you’d like to see this year in your financial health?
- How much debt do you have? In what ways can you eliminate a sizeable portion of it this year?
- How is your savings? In what ways can you save more money this year?
- Are you giving regularly? In what ways can you give this year?
- In what specific ways would you like to grow in relating to your friends this year?
- What are some ways you can be of service to your community?
- Who are some specific people in your life that can use some encouragement? What will you do to encourage them this year?
- Who are some people in your life that you admire? How can you positively use their influence in your life?
- Are there any damaging relationships in your life? What will you do this year to make it better?
- In what ways can you develop your prayer life this year?
- How do you feel about your consistency in reading the Bible? What steps will you take to see this area grow?
- What area of weakness do you feel like God wants to strengthen this year?
- What will be your spiritual theme for this year?